Private studies under Tadeusz Pruszkowski and Felicjan Szczęsny Kowarski, 1940-1944. He obtained his diploma at the Academy of Fine Arts, Warsaw, 1946. Lecturer at his alma mater from 1953 to 1961 and at renowned academies in Britain and the USA, where he lived in the years 1966-1999. In 1958, together with Stanisław Zamecznik he organized a groundbreaking exhibition of Polish art A Study of Space, preceding world environment projects. Later, the problem of illusory space became the key motif in his oeuvre. In the 50s and 60s he created painting installations close to op-art, consisting of colourful circles and waves. This period was crowned with the artist’s solo exhibition at the Guggenheim Museum in New York (1970). Laureate of many awards and medals. Author of paintings, graphics, posters, set-design, architectural and urban development projects, sculptures. Author of articles and essays on art.