Studies: School of Fine Arts, Moscow, 1916-1921; Faculty of Fine Arts, the Stefan Batory University, Vilnius, 1921; School of Fine Arts, Warsaw, 1923-1931, in Prof Tadeusz Pruszkowski’s studio, and in the sculpture studio of Prof Tadeusz Breyer. Diploma 1933. He spent the war years as a prisoner of Woldenberg, POW camp for officers. Professor at the Faculty of Fine Arts, the Nicolas Copernicus University in Torun, 1946-1949, and at the Faculty of Sculpture, Academy of Fine Arts, Gdansk (1949-1970). Honorary doctorate of the Nicolas Copernicus University in Torun. Author of outdoor projects and monuments, including the monument of Adam Mickiewicz in Warsaw. Laureate of the Gold Medal at the 19th International Art Biennial, Florence (1969). The artist’s oeuvre is marked by synthetic, austere form of sculptures made of field granite. Master of the taille directe technique, which requires remarkable dexterity, depending on carving directly in stone, without previous modeling in clay.
Date of birth 1902
Date of death 1997